Tuesday, April 29, 2014

In the Wild

In the Wild  6 x 6 oil on panel
I love flowers but the wild ones are my favorites, they grow in unexpected places and bring a sparkle of color. These were on the grounds of Mt. Carmel where I teach painting most of the summer. I walk the path along Lake Carlos where it is located  and each of the nine years I have been there give me new delights.
This is a small painting with big impact.
I began using the grisaille  method described in my Strutten post. I used sap green and a bit of dioxanine purple covering the panel with those oil colors and liquin. when that was done I used rag, Q-tips and dry brushes to lift out the color where the flowers, lighter leaves and grasses would be. Then when that was dry I used my oil colors with a touch of liquin to give the color you see. This is an almost magical way of having the painting almost paint itself and simply "appear".

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a very interesting way of painting, the results are soft and beautiful. Do you know where I can get more information on this method?

    ReplyDelete