Tuesday, January 8, 2013

And ........the Leaves Begin to Turn

And ..........the Leaves Begin to Turn   6 x 6 in. oil on canvas panel
We usually think of either summer or fall colors but there is a time in-between that is quite lovely. Of course I have a love affair with trees and by painting them hope to share that beauty with others.  This tree is around the bend from our home and took on beautiful fall colors as well. I have been unable to get out to see it in it's blanket of snow but I know from experience beauty comes in all seasons. Perhaps beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.
I began this painting with a very thin lay in of approximate colors using my oils with a bit of Gamsol, quite dry brush. When I was satisfied with the composition I laid in the color with a light coat of oil paint and built up the color and amount of paint as I moved to the finish.  I work from thin to thick and dark to light.

1 comment:

  1. A delicate tree and splendid in its color. Too often I neglect to appreciate the miracle that is death and renewal in nature. Thanks for bringing that back to me in your lovely painting.

    ReplyDelete